A good journal is one that publishes quality papers in the shortest possible time. It is indeed true that a large number of scientific journals suffer from the malady of long publication times of otherwise acceptable papers. This delay restricts novel ideas from being disseminated quickly in this fast moving world, and inhibits the growth of healthy research environment where time is a key factor for intensification. What's more, long publication times frustrate both the producers and consumers of serious research. The International Journal of Performability Engineering aims to pursue the goal of rapid publication of quality papers by involving active researchers in the review process, since the quality of a published paper to a large extent depends on a timely and effective refereeing process. In addition, we have certain requirements and recommendations for authors designed to minimize publication delays. Active and diligent cooperation from the editors, reviewers, and authors can reduce the average time to publication to 6–12 months.
- A paper or a short paper contributed to this journal must be original in content, and may be both - theoretical concept or based on any practical application - related to the area of dependability or sustainability. A report or a case study with experimental results is also welcome. The prime requirements of a paper shall be that it:
- makes a significant and original contribution; or
- contains a new idea, which has specific engineering applications; and
- is within the scope of the journal; and
- should not have been published previously.
- Contributions from all constituent areas of performability engineering ( refer to Scope of the Journal ) are welcomed. The language of the journal is English.
- International Journal of Performability Engineering does not support or promotes the idea of multiple publications of the same paper, some authors resort to propagate their idea widely. Therefore, submission of a manuscript implies a tacit understanding that the paper submitted paper or its variant is not under active consideration of publication with any other journal and will not be sent for publication to any other journal after communicating it to International Journal of Performability Engineering (IJPE), unless IJPE decides not to publish it. Review of a paper will not be started unless the Editor-in-Chief receives back the signed copyright form and declaration sent with the acknowledgement.
- A paper of acceptable quality is also one that is written in a manner that is precise and to the point. Therefore, authors must devote adequate attention and time to structuring, organizing and presenting their ideas. Long and verbose papers have a lower probability of acceptance and may involve long publication time.
- Authors are advised to read the guidelines for contributors for preparing a manuscript and to follow them strictly in order to shorten time the tome of publication.
- The IJPE encourages submission of a manuscript electronically, and all papers are acknowledged and accepted by the Editor-in-Chief only. Presently, it is being done by K.B.Misra.
- Initial appraisal of a submitted manuscript is done by the Editor-in-Chief with respect to its scope, quality and standard. If it is found acceptable, all papers will be sent out to at least two reviewers from the area for technical comments.
- After a paper has been refereed, the decision on its acceptance, as well as the comments of the referees are generally sent to the corresponding author unless otherwise specially requested.
- Should a paper be found acceptable on the condition of its revision, the corresponding author can expedite publication by returning the revised paper as early as possible. Publication time can be further reduced should the author chooses to prepare it according to the specification of IJPE. (Instructions to help prepare such a version are supplied on request or refer to the webpage on guidelines for contributors.
- If considered necessary the revised paper may sometimes be referred back to the reviewers for their final review.
- Besides publishing regular papers, the IJPE also accepts short communications from researchers and readers. These brief communications of 1–3 pages allow a rapid dissemination of new developments, ideas, or methodologies within the scientific community. The short communications, like regular papers in the IJPE, will be reviewed by expert reviewers and evaluated by the editor. Unlike regular papers, however, the communications are generally published within three months of their submission.
- There is no page charge for the journal.
- The corresponding author is supplied (or sometimes coauthors of a paper, if request is made in advance and their exact postal addresses are made available) with a free copy of the journal in which the author's paper has appeared. Additional copies of the journal in print form or individual copies of the published papers in electronic form can be purchased online by going over to the Link: http://www.ijpe-online.com/non-subscribers.html
The Refereeing Form can be downloaded from here